Parent and Staff Survey Results
Dear Clarkstown School Community:
I hope this communication finds you and your family members in good health and spirits.
I am writing with the results of the recent parent and staff survey that connect to our Phased-In approach to return all students, K-12. Below are the separate survey data points at the close of the survey, Monday, March 8 at 8 p.m.
Parent Survey - Responses: 5,783 out of a possible total of 7,728
- Will Your Child Attend School in person?
- Will Your Child Attend school on a 100% remote learning basis?
- Will you send your child in-person learning full-time with less than 6 feet social distancing with the use of TRI FOLD DESK BARRIERS in addition to wearing a mask?
Yes - 77%; No - 23%
- Will you send your child in-person learning full-time with less than 6 feet social distancing with the use of FACE SHIELDS WITHOUT TRI FOLD BARRIERS in addition to wearing a mask?
Yes - 47%; No - 53%
Teacher/Staff/Administrator Survey - 637 Responses out of a possible total of 1080
- Would you prefer teaching/interacting with students for in-person learning full-time with less than 6 feet social distancing with students wearing FACE SHIELDS while students are wearing a mask?
Yes - 26%; No - 74%
- Would you prefer teaching/interacting with students for in-person learning full-time with less than 6 feet social distancing with TRI FOLD DESK BARRIERS while wearing a mask?
Yes - 60%; No 40%
Not all parents responded to the survey. Presently, the survey results are in a validation process which will result in our correspondence to those who still need to answer the questions.
The District has moved forward with the ordering of desk barriers which do not have the wide white borders as shown during a Board Workshop last week. There are numerous operational matters our administrators, in partnership with building principals, are navigating at this time in preparation for the desire to return all students. I will be communicating all of our updates as decisions are made in the coming weeks to keep you informed.
Please note that the timeline to return students remains contingent on the delivery of the desk barriers, additional single desks and classroom setup as well as monitoring the infection rates in our county. Unfortunately, we have experienced a significant increase in Positive COVID-19 cases across the District. There have been 27 positive cases across our schools in the last two weeks. The current published CDC and Rockland County infection status would not support a return to 100% in person instruction today.
That said, while it is my strong desire to return all students to our schools, it will take a community effort in order to do so. Specifically, I encourage all of us to adhere to appropriate health and safety protocols that include mask wearing, social distancing, handwashing, and the avoidance of large gatherings.
I look forward to providing you operational details moving forward as decisions are made about multiple topics.
Stay strong! Stay healthy!
Martin D. Cox, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools