A Timeline of Clarkstown Central School District Milestones

Year Achivement
1928 Congers High School is accredited by the Board or Regents of New York State as an approved 4-year high school. Felix V. Festa starts teaching at Congers.
1949 The seven school districts: Congers, New City, Street School, Chestnut Grove, Bardonia, West Nyack and Rockland Lake vote to centralize into the Clarkstown School District
1949 Clarkstown Central School District #1 is formed.
1950 Clarkstown voters accept a tract of 46 acres of land for a proposed junior-senior high school; a gift from Ernst W. Flender.
1954 Congers High School selects Rams as the nickname of new High School.
1954 Dedication of Clarkstown Junior-Senior High School is held.
1954 Clarkstown Junior-Senior High School opens with about 785 Students.
1954 Ram’s Horn student newspaper is published for the first time.
1955 Tappan Zee Bridge officially opens.
1955 North gets a football team.
1958 First Advanced Placement course in European History starts.
1958 A $1,875,000 bond issue passes to build a separate Junior High School adjacent to the High School and Carnochan House.
1961 A $754,000 bond issue passes to build 14 room new wing.
1962 The new wing is completed.
1963 The school officially becomes a Senior High School.
1963 The new Junior High School opens and the former Clarkstown Junior High School located adjacent to Senior High School and Carnochan House is now designated as Clarkstown Senior High School Annex.
1963 Clarkstown offers the first high school class in Japanese in New York State.
1964 The first outdoor graduation ceremony is held.
1966 A $416,500 bond issue is approved by voters to purchase 63.315 acres for a second high school.
1967 Architectural firm of Frederic P. Wiederson Assoc. of Valley Stream, NY is put in charge of planning and developing a senior high school to accommodate approximately 3,000 pupils, to be ready for occupancy in September, 1971.
1968 A revised $11,908,000 bond issue passes to put additions on four elementary schools and construct the second senior high school – (capacity of auditorium reduced from 1,500 to 1,000; planetarium and swimming pool eliminated, lobby and cafeteria reduced).
1970 Ground breaking takes place to start construction of the new high school.
1971 Boundaries for two senior high schools are established. Birchwood, West Nyack, Bardonia, Chestnut Grove, Link and Laurel Plains would go to South.
1971 Clarkstown Board of Education officially adopts name of the second high school as Clarkstown Senior High School South. North is also designated as Clarkstown High School North.
1971 South opens to approximately 1450 students in grades 9, 10, 11. The gym, auditorium, shop and home economics rooms are not yet completed.
1972 Open House is held for dedication of the Clarkstown Senior High School South.
1973 Ice Hockey and swimming are offered for the first time.
1986 North’s library is renovated
2004 Science lecture hall which converts to a planetarium is ready for use at South.
2005 The new building extension at North connecting the Annex and Main buildings opens
2006 International Baccalaureate Programme is initiated in North and South.
2008 The International Baccalaureate Programme initiated at Link World School.