Modern Language Association
Formatting Your Works Cited Page
- Page title:“Works Cited” Center this title at the top of the page. It is the last page of your paper.
- Double space all lines in your Works Cited page.
- Alphabetize by the first word in the entry.The bibliography should be in alphabetical order according to the author's last names. If the source has no author, alphabetize according to the first word of the title excluding “a,” “an,” and “the.”
- First line of each cited work begins at the left margin – all other lines of that cited work are indented five spaces.
- Punctuation and Capitalization
o Leave one space after all punctuation marks.
o Capitalize each word in the titles of articles, books, etc. excluding articles (the, an), short prepositions, or conjunctions. (e.g., Gone with the Wind, The Art of War, There is Nothing Left to Lose)
o Italicize titles of books and periodicals
o Use quotation marks for titles of short works. (e.g., “poems”, “articles”)
New to MLA 2016:
- URL required for websites, no medium indicator required, no publishing city
- Quick Guide to citing an article from a database: